So you decided to do it anyway!
Your New Years Resolution is to lose weight and get healthy in 2012
Well then you need a plan! One of the keys to making resolutions stick is to have a plan.
In this post, I will examine some options for fitness in the new year to help you plan for success.
What works for you may not work for someone else
“We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” Maya Angelou
“Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day.”
Here in Fenton we have diverse set of fitness options. That's a very good thing for Fenton residents. We options to fit all budgets. When it comes to fitness it not just about budget, though. There are many factors involved in searching for fitness options. While some may be cheaper.....are they what you will enjoy? If you don't enjoy it ,you won't do it!
Here are some of the pro's and cons of the different options available.
Workout Videos and other Home Workout Equipment
- Workout videos are usually not too expensive. You can even rent fitness DVD's from the Fenton library. There are many, many choices on the market. You can get them locally at Target, Walmart, Kmart etc.
- You can buy them online. If you are a big P90X fan you can even get P90X2 now get P90X2.
- You can buy a fitness ball for $10- $25.
- No travel to and from gym.
- Some people just don't like the crowds or maybe feel embarrassed because of there weight.
- You need to be self motivated for videos, if you are not the videos may end up collecting dust. Therefore if you won't really be self motivated, is it the best choice?
- The trainer can't see and correct you if you have improper form. This is one of the biggest problems with fitness videos.
- Videos are the same each time....there is a big boredom factor
- It's one on one, so get all the attention.
- You get a personalized program for YOU!
- Those of you who would like to get started but are a little intimidated by actually going to the gym. This is a good option.
Cons: It costs more than videos. You can buy a video and use it as many times as you want.
- There is a concrete deadline. That helps keep you on track.
- There's incentive to succeed. All those prizes help keep you motivated.
- You are not alone in your fat loss journey.
- There's added accountability. Especially with my Shaped By Shawn 12/12 Challenge. I include a free membership to Fenton F.L.A.G. ( a private Facebook Fat Loss Accountability Group). Check my 12/12 contest page to see what you can win. 12/12 Challenge
- You tap into your desire to compete. Sometimes that competitive spirit is a real motivator.
- You can even find them on line to join. Body for Life is a big one. Craig Ballantyne (Trainer Men's Health Magazine) runs Turbulence Training contests.
- Sometimes people get in shape for the contest and after the contest just don't keep it up once the "prize" isn't the motivating factor any more.
- If you are not self motivated it helps to be around other like minded people.
- You get to use some expensive equipment that you couldn't afford to go out and buy.
- Some gyms include trainers at no extra charge.
- Some offer a variety of group exercise classes.
- You have to know what you are looking for in a gym. Weigh the cost, the number of miles from home,what it includes etc. If your gym is everything you want but 25 miles from home....Is it really everything you want? It has to be convenient.
- Dance off some calories while learning more about this ancient art form. A very fun way to work on muscles you didn't realize you had. Bellydi Instructor and creator Azziza Salem is absolutely awesome. She is very sweet and talented. She will break things down for you if needed.Her number is (248) 840-4124
- It isn't for everyone. If you don't like dance based workouts you won't enjoy it.
- A lot of people love it! Fun dance moves. If you like to dance it's perfect for you.
- You can find Zumba everywhere around Fenton (Fenton United Methodist Church, schools,dance studios, and Community ed)
- With so many different teachers you are bound to find one who's style you love.
- Some people are overwhelmed with learning the steps. Zumba instructors are not supposed to break down the moves and minimize talking (so it's more like a party) Some people just need the breakdown of steps. Unless you attend a Zumba Toning class it won't include weight training ( which is also essential to fat loss)
- Boot Camps are a great way to get up that competitive spirit.
- Fellow campers encourage each other as well. They help hold each other accountable to the work outs.
- Boot Camps, while not the cheapest option are generally cheaper than personal training.
- Most Boot Camps focus on Cardio, Weight Training and Body Weight exercises. You get a well rounded workout all in one workout.
- I offer 3 different skill levels in my Fenton Fat Loss camp(FFL) and F.I.T. Camps(Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced options).
- Boot Camps can be fun, too. Just because they are not dance based doesn't mean they are boring. I play games and do partner drills in my FFL and F.I.T. Camps.
- Some Boot Camps are tougher than others. Some focus on just trying to tire you out and beat you down.
- Boot Camps are not the cheapest fitness option some cost as much as $200 a month for 3 times a week.Some people just need the accountability of Boot Camps though. If you won't workout on your own it's a waste of money to spend $20 on a DVD you won't use.
Stream Fit and other Internet Options
- Convenient and ready when you are to workout.
- affordable. You can find videos on Fitness Magazine, Oxygen Magazine and Shape's websites (free).
- Stream fit is around $20 a month and available on demand.They offer 3 workout levels and even very advanced options.You can even get a free 7 day trial with no credit card needed! Top of the line trainers.It even works on your smart phone. Convenient for travelers.It can come with you. No excuses because it's 24/7 get Stream Fit
- No actual trainer to check your form.
- You have to be a self starter. If you are not self motivated this probably isn't the best choice.
- I have not had any personal experience with Jazzercise so I can't tell you a whole lot about it. What I can say is that it is group exercise. Group exercise is best for people that need the accountability of classmates. I know they are running specials this time of year so it would be a great time to try it and see if you enjoy it. And I also know that they offer childcare.
Yoga and Pilates
- Yoga and Pilates increases strength and flexibility as it awakens many areas of your body. It can help a rigid body become flexible.
- Yoga and Pilates work on the whole body.
- Yoga and Pilates relieve stress. This is probably one of the biggest benefits of Yoga. Because of the breathing methods and stretching techniques you practice during Yoga, you can actually feel stress leaving your body.
- You really need to make sure you have a qualified instructor.
- cost and drive time to classes.
With all these options... I know you can find something you enjoy!
I think you can see the trend though. If it's a cheaper option you generally have to be more self motivated. And if you are a beginner maybe it's worth that extra cost at first so you know you are doing the exercise right. With poor form you will not get the most of your workout and worse yet, you could injure yourself.