.

Dental Patients Got More than a Filling

Staff and patients at the Michigan Smiles Dental may have been frowning some Thursday after a small electrical fire closed an entire city block.

An electrical short is being blamed for a fire at Michigan Smiles Dental in Fenton. It's not clear how long the business will be closed. (Photo: Michigan Smiles Dental)
An electrical short is being blamed for a fire at Michigan Smiles Dental in Fenton. It's not clear how long the business will be closed. (Photo: Michigan Smiles Dental)

A small electrical fire at the Michigan Smiles Dental office in Fenton was quickly extinguished Thursday, but rekindled, causing the fire department to close down a block of South Adelaide Street in Fenton.

Jennifer Gregus, a dental assistant at the clinic in the 100 block of Shiawassee Avenue, said an electrician checked out the building after power was lost earlier in the afternoon, but didn’t find any problems, the Flint Journal reports.

After the electrician left, employees began smelling smoke.

“We started smelling smoke, kind of like a campfire,” Gregus said. “Then a patient came in and said there was smoke coming out of our building.”

The staff investigated and found flames in the attic.

Patients were evacuated and the staff put out the fire, which rekindled before the Fenton Fire Department arrived.

Fire Department Lt. Casey Gilbert said the electrical fire shorted out electricity to the entire building. It’s not clear how long the clinic will be closed.

Firefighters from Linden and Fenton Township also responded to help fight the fire. Damage mainly occurred on the second floor and in the attic.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something