.

No Charges Will Be Filed Against "Social Media Threat" Student

Livingston County Prosecutor will not authorize charges against the Hartland High School senior.

There will be no charges filed against the 18-year-old Hartland High School student whose texts that were sent out to some of his fellow students on May 23 were perceived as threatening and caused a social media panic. 

According to the Press & Argus, Livingston County prosecutor David Morse will not be authorizing charges against the high school senior calling the student’s actions “stupid” and “misguided” but not criminal.

No identity has been released.

The Hartland High School senior is currently on a and will receive an expulsion hearing before the ten days are up, according to Superintendent Janet Sifferman.

Sifferman also confirmed earlier this week that some of the vandalism acts around Hartland High School that included have the number 24 spray painted across the entrance sign and burned into the grass, was the work of different students and not related to the social media threats.

“The student that issued the texts that were perceived as threats had nothing to do with the vandalism,” Sifferman said.

Two students received 10-day suspensions for their vandalism and are also waiting for expulsion hearings.

Tatum Ryan May 09, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Hi Jordan- thank you for the question and the feedback. It just so happens that Patch is re-working the site design, literally- as we speak, which is meant to show more comments in the stream. We all agree that Patch is designed as a community forum so being able to see what people are talking is so important- so yes- short answer- we hope to see some changes again soon. (: As always, thank you to everyone for reading and participating on Patch and if there are any other questions, contact me at tatum.ryan@patch.com
Hartland HS Parent May 09, 2012 at 06:35 PM
Well put Marie. It is quite possible another student siezed the opportunity to mess with some others. I'm confident our 18 year old student is no terrorist, and greatly regrets all that has transpired (and recognizes how much trouble they could have been in). Maybe there are many lessons to be learned across the board from this incident. I hope it never repeats.
hartland eagle May 09, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Well, the prosecutor obviously had the police reports too. So, your position would be that the prosecutor was very, very badly misquoted in the paper when it was printed that he specifically said the 18 year old sent 36 text messages to students. It's shocking to me that the parents, or the young adult's lawyer, wouldn't seek an immediate retraction from the Livingston Daily for printing such a prejudicial statement in the paper. Simply shocking. Unbelieveable almost.
Angela May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Yes, let's do society a huge favor by turning a teenage boy out into the world without a high school diploma. That will certainly make the world a much better place.
Angela May 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Apparently you grew up in a different world than I did. When I was in school, the adults expected that kids would do bone-headed things once in a while, and didn't blow things way our of proportion. They also didn't set out to ruin their lives, especially when absolutely nobody was hurt. Of course, that was back when the cops were much more friendly and would drive idiot kids back home instead of taking them to jail, too.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »