Thursday, December 13, 2012
Original show will be performed at 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday, at the Fenton Village Playhouse on Torrey Road in Fenton.
There’s still time to see the Fenton Village Players’ original “A Visit to the North Pole.” The community is invited to come and join in the fun as the Bakery Elves get ready for Christmas. “There will be singing, dancing, and plenty of fun in this North Pole talent show,” the Fenton Village Players say on their website. “After the one-hour show, children will be invited to the Winter Wonderland, where we will play games and share Christmas cookies. Be sure to bring your camera! Children will have the opportunity to visit with Santa Claus after the show.” There will be a 7 p.m. show on Friday, Dec. 14 and a 2 p.m. show on Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Fenton Village Playhouse, 14197 Torrey Rd. in Fenton. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased …
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Oct. 6 free event is open to the public; will feature re-enactments of Civil War soldiers' lives.
Civil War soldier William Butcher, who is buried in Fenton’s Oakwood Cemetery, came to the U.S. from England at age 18. He saw a lot of action during the war as a member of Company I in the Sixth Michigan Cavalry, from September 1862 to July 1865. After the war, he lived in Holly and became one of Fenton’s primary businessmen, said Fenton Cemetery Board President Doug Tebo. Butcher was a lifelong member of the Baptist Church, was part of the Soldiers Relief Commission and more. “He was happy doing philanthropic work,” Tebo said. Butcher’s story, and that of 21 other Civil War soldiers, will be highlighted during the 5th Annual Oakwood Cemetery History Walk. Seven of the soldiers came to the Fenton area from New York, he said. Re-enactors …
Thursday, September 13, 2012
Don't miss out on this important news and other information.
The National Weather Service's forecast for today is a 30 percent chance of showers with a high of 79 degrees. Tonight's forecast is showers likely (a 70 percent chance) with a low of 54. The lowest gas prices in Fenton Wednesday evening were $3.99 per gallon, according to Mapquest Gas Prices. Stations offering this price were Owen Road BP Food Shop, 3238 Owen Rd.; Speedway #8405 (discount available), 3245 Owen Rd.; Sunoco, 3325 Owen Rd.; Sunoco, 2461 North Rd.; Speedway #5509 (discount available), 3340 Owen Rd., and Fenton Marathon, 402 W. Silver Lake Rd. At Monday's meeting, the city of Fenton renewed its contract with STAT EMS, approved increases in fees for services from its building and zoning departments, and endorsed the proposed …
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Don't miss out on this important information.
The National Weather Service's forecast for today is for high of 85 degrees, with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. Tonight's forecast is for a low of 57, with thunderstorms likely at 70 percent. The lowest gas prices in Fenton on Wednesday evening were $3.89 per gallon, according to Mapquest Gas Prices. Stations offering this price were Owen Road BP Food Shop, 3238 Owen Rd.; Speedway #8405 (discount available), 3245 Owen Rd.; Sunoco, 3325 Owen Rd., and Speedway #5509 (discount available), 3340 Owen Rd. Fenton City Council has set a public hearing for its Sept. 10 meeting, so people can voice their opinions on whether chicken keeping should be allowed in the city, the Tri-County Times reports. There is a proposed ordinance that would …
Sunday, May 13, 2012
The late Russ Haddon helped the district expand from K-8 to K-12 and was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award Saturday.
Russ Haddon, 97, passed away on Tuesday after an illness, but he had known since December that he would be this year's Lake Fenton Education Foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award winner. Upon hearing about the award, Haddon asked what he'd done to deserve it. "Way too many things," Lake Fenton Education Foundation President Tom Hufton replied. When Haddon became superintendent of Lake Fenton Community Schools in 1948, it was a kindergarten through eighth grade district. Haddon later helped orchestrate a county-wide election, that allowed Lake Fenton to become a K-12 school district. It was an easy decision for the foundation to select Haddon as this year's Lifetime Achievement Award winner, Hufton said. He knew Haddon for 18 years, …
Thursday, May 10, 2012
Haddon served as Lake Fenton's first superintendent, helped found the Fenton Village Players and touched many lives.
On Saturday Russ Haddon will receive a Lifetime Achievement award from The Lake Fenton Community Schools Foundation. However, unfortunately, that lifetime came to end Tuesday as the Fenton legend passed away at age 97. Haddon served as Lake Fenton's first superintendent, he was a founding father of the Fenton Village Players and ran the Haddon Nursery for 50 years. "He was a pillar of society," said friend Nancy Draves. "This is a great loss for the community." Draves said the visions of a theater for the Fenton Village Players had all but faded when Haddon made a $250,000 donation for the new building. "He really wanted that building," Draves said. "He was very interested in cultural things. He was a dear, dear man." Haddon touched many …
Monday, April 16, 2012
The show will be performed Friday through Sunday.
Monday, April 16, 2012
In this courtroom drama, the audience actually serves as the jury. At the conclusion of the trial, the audience votes on the guilt or innocence of the defendant. The Fenton Village Players show will be performed at 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Fenton Village Playhouse, 14197 Torrey Road in Fenton. Tickets for adults are $12. Senior (55 & older) tickets are $10 and children 12 and under are $6. Click here for more information. The defendent is "Lucky Sam" Luckey, on trial for the fatal shooting of Marvin Stump. Thomas Nash, the prosecutor, is confident of obtaining a conviction. Not because of the preponderance of evidence, but because of the defendant's reputation as a criminal and a racketeer. On the …
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
People pack the Playhouse to see mental magician Bill Hoffman.
Fenton resident and mental magician Bill Hoffman provided entertaining magic tricks and plenty of laughs this weekend with two shows at the Fenton Village Playhouse. He also helped the Fenton Village Players raise more than $2,000 to help fund a new roof for the facility, which had to be installed after a leak was found. "It exceeded all our expectations," producer Pam Buerger said of the show. "It was great and Bill was wonderful to work with." Friday's show sold out and Saturday's show was just a few tickets short of a full house. "Crowds were great and energetic. I think it was a great way to introduce alot of new people to the theater," Hoffman said.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Bill Hoffman will perform mental magic show benefiting a new roof at the Fenton Village Players Playhouse.
Sure Bill Hoffman can pull a rabbit out of a hat, but that’s not as much fun as getting into someone’s head, he said. The Fenton Township magician will put on a show Jan. 27 and Jan. 28 at the Fenton Village Players Playhouse, but he won’t be performing the average sleight of hand act. His tricks will be sleight of mind in the mental magic show called Fact, Fiction and Fakery at its Finest and Funniest. “When you do get in their head or read their thoughts, or place a thought in their mind, that’s the moment they realize they lost control. Something as a human you never lose control of are your own thoughts,” Hoffman, 31, said. “It rocks people to their core.” In one trick Hoffman has four books on stage. He picks three audience members, …
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Bringing you the latest and greatest for the weekend in Fenton and the surrounding area.
Our pick for today: Auditions for 'I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change' Where: Fenton Village Players Playhouse, 14197 Torrey Rd, Fenton When: 6:30-10:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 5 and Friday, Jan. 6 Cost: Your time and willingness to take part in all rehearsals and performances Why go: Be parf of history by participating in a local performance of the second-longest running musical in the history of Broadway. Come back to Fenton Patch Tuesday for more weekend-things-to-do options. Or, visit our Events guide here.