Police: Highland Man Dies After Bar Fight; Fenton Man Arrested on Assault Charges

Holly police say 43-year-old Ronald Smith died Monday after he was punched in the face, fell and hit his head on some cement Friday.

Holly police are investigating what happened during a fight at a Holly bar that resulted in the death of a 43-year-old Highland man.

Police responded to a call from Martini’s Bar & Grill in the Village of Holly for an assault complaint on Friday, Oct. 12. Officers arrived and found a 43-year-old Highland man lying unconscious outside the bar, according to a press release from Holly police.

Rescue crews transported the victim, who police have identified as Ronald Smith, to Genesys Regional Medical Center, where he never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead on Monday, according to police.

Police believe a 37-year-old Fenton man punched the victim in the face during an altercation, causing him to fall backward and slam his head on the cement, resulting in a severe brain injury. The Fenton man then left the scene, according to the report, but later was arrested by Holly police on aggravated assault charges and parole violations.

Charges against the suspect, who is not being named at this time, are pending, according to police.

“The incident is still being investigated. There were a lot of witnesses — upwards of 15 — to still go through,” Holly Chief of Police Michael Story told The Oakland Press.

D October 17, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Should be murder charges! manslauter at the least!
michellee goddard October 17, 2012 at 09:02 PM
I think he should be prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law... 1. for being on parole and in a bar. 2. for running from the scene of the crime and 3. for punching some1 who was only defending his family member. i hope he @least has some remorse for what he did
Tina October 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM
I am sorry for the family but also feel that this took place due to bad choices all the way around. It took many choices and actions in order for this event to play out. There was a fight in progress that was a choice and then there was defending that was a choice. I think somtimes as adults we do not make the best choices in these situation. ALL that to part in this situation made choices that lead to the tragic out come.
Wake87 October 19, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Rip Ron :( very very sad outcome here!! He should be sent away for life!
Brooke Tajer December 05, 2012 at 01:50 PM
A comment on this article was deleted because it violates our terms of service. You can find our terms at www.whitelake.patch.com/terms.
Mitch Morrison February 28, 2013 at 06:36 PM
He was a violent 4th degree felon on parole. He was the only one who made bad choices. Today they sentenced the scum to just 50 months in prison. His name is Evan James Wells, and he should have been charged with murder. He'll be out with more rage trapped inside to kill again real soon. Hope he don't decide to get you next Tina.
Mitch Morrison February 28, 2013 at 06:37 PM
The scum got 50 months was all, 50 months.
Mitch Morrison February 28, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Gave him 50 measly months.
Mitch Morrison February 28, 2013 at 06:39 PM
He walked away with a 50 month sentence. They said that exceeded his sentencing guidelines. Is that a joke or what? Nope it's the truth. His name is Evan James Wells.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something